Wednesday, August 14, 2019

How my book - Natural Exposure - came to be

Want to know what my novel, Natural Exposure, is about? Click Here for a post with the blurb and themes of the book. This post is talks about how it came to be.


When you think / hear about writers, it's always that they have all these stories in them and they just come pouring out - at least that's what I hear a lot.

That wasn't the case for me. I've always said that I wish I could write, but I lack the imagination to do so. I still agree with that, and that my lack of imagination is the only thing from holding me back, with really writing a lot. But, I suppose it took just a little spark for my current WiPs (works-in-progress).

My first book, my current WiP on it's first draft (not published) Natural Exposure, and it's sequel Negative Exposure (subject to change) came from a creative writing prompt.

Let me back up and say I've written off and on my entire life, but what I've written has been to penpals. I started writing pals when I was a pre-teen after camps. I've always enjoyed writing to pals and have done so off and on since I was young. I still write penpals now (though, I'm woefully behind at the moment, due to focusing on my book) and my long time pal and I have been pals over 18 years now! We've never met in person but know each other very well through our years of letters.


Anyways, another pal of mine also wanted to do some creative writing, so we sent each other writing prompts. It was just so that we could write each other a little stories to get out some of the creativeness.

Well, one of her prompts really took hold with me. Rather than writing a 500 word short story for her, I sat for the evening and wrote over 5000 words. The prompt was just perfect for me, and once I started writing, I couldn't stop!

The prompt was:

You are a photographer who specializes in nudes.
One day, a beautiful woman walks into your studio.



This spoke to me for a few reasons. I find erotic photography very sexy, so it appealed that way. But also because while I'm not a photographer now, I have done photography (in and out of a studio) and went to school for photography. So it's something I know pretty well, enough to be able to expound on what could be a dream studio for a photographer.

So I wrote for the prompt and that would have been it, but another pal (visit Maggie Hemlock on my sidebar) is an author and they encouraged me to do more with it. Soon after, I learned about Camp NaNoWriMo and it just took off from there.

The initial prompt (I had called it "Exposed") that I wrote became the basis for Natural Exposure. I took over 5k words, and expanded it, added to it and it became the first five chapters of Natural Exposure.

That was back at the start of March. Here we are 6 months later. Natural Exposure sits at just over 74,000 words, and I have 5 more chapters to edit on my first draft. I have a one chapter prequel that when I do a newsletter, it will be given away with that. I also have a sequel that sits at 53k and is probably a little over half done.

What a weird year it's been. I never thought I'd write and now I wish I hadn't waited so long. My lacking imagination is all that holds me back, but thankfully not as much as I thought it would impact me. I still do get ideas and once I get ideas, the words come easily. It's been a fun journey.

How did you start writing? What got you going on your journey? I'd love to hear any stories!



No comments:

Post a Comment