Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Disney Tips, Tidbits & Trivia #2: Harnessing the Lightning



Disney!


What is Disney Tips, Trivia & Tidbits? Whatever I, and you, want it to be. What have YOU always wanted to know about Disney? I'm most familiar with WDW, but I have been to Disneyland and California Adventures, although it's been many years. We visited 4 or 5 times.

So, my Disney days will just be any bit of information that pops into my head, and if any of you want to hit me up on Twitter, email, or leave a comment here, I'll be glad to answer questions.

Previous Disney Tips, Tidbits & Trivia:
Disney Tidbits #1 - Haunted Mansion


Disney Trivia #2

Harnessing the Lightning. At this point, even the most knowledgable Disney lovers may be like WTF dude, are you off your rocker? There's not been anything called Harnessing the Lightning. And you'd be right.

But there almost was.

Harnessing the Lightning was an idea of Walt's that was to go into Edison Square at Disneyland. It was a land that never came to be, set it behind Main Street on the inside of Tomorrowland.

At the center of the land was to be Harnessing the Lightning which was a precursor to The Carousel of Progress. The show was to feature a horseshoe theater and would go through four (sound familiar) scenes from Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, much as Carousel of Progress still does today. At the time, it was 1959 and he intended to showcase 1898, 1918, 1959 and some year beyond, as CoP has continued to change it's final scene.

It's unclear why Edison Square never got built (despite being in the park map for years) but one thing is certain, that the initial show had room for very few guests. Walt re-imagined the theater for the 1964 World's Fair, so it could hold more people at at time and so more could experience it. Some script revisions were done and with the change to the theater it became "The Carousel Theater Show". Now, Carousel of Progress has been a staple of the Magic Kingdom since 1974, one I hope never goes away.

There's a great, big, beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of every day
There's a great, big, beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow's just a dream away
Man has a dream and that's a start
He follows his dream with mind and heart
And when it becomes a reality
It's a dream come true for you and me


(From memory - so I may have a word wrong - but I don't think so... I know my attractions even all these years later. I can recite the Haunting Mansion Stretching Room word for word too...) :D

And though I didn't love the reasons they changed it, I didn't mind the "Best Time of your Life" song.

"Now is the time, now is the best time
now is the best time of your life..."


Sources:
Skyway to Wonderland
MousePlanet


Too mundane of trivia for you? What do you want to know next?

Did you notice the "Hidden Mickey" in the banner above?




My Books
Natural Exposure on Amazon
Natural Exposure on Smashwords - on $$SALE$$ for $2.40
Natural Exposure on Goodreads

A Bijou Beginning on Wattpad - FREE short story
A Bijou Beginning on Goodreads

A Discovery of BDSM on Amazon
A Discovery of BDSM on Goodreads


No comments:

Post a Comment