Wednesday, October 30, 2019

NaNoWriMo 2019 - I'm Participating, plus other tidbits




As many of you know, NaNoWriMo approaches! I'm joining in!

Though I've known of NaNo for years, I'd never participated, because I was never writing anything. I'd always said that I thought I would enjoy writing (and I was right) but that I didn't have the imagination to do so (and I was sorta right, sorta wrong).

All that changed in March when a penpal (yes, I still write penpals and have most of my life - snail mail and all) sent me a writing prompt that got me on this crazy journey. The prompt --- You are a photographer who specializes in nudes. One day, a beautiful woman walks into your studio --- sparked something in me. Initially I was suppose to write a quick page (300 words) or so short story for her. I ended up writing over 5400 words just for the initial prompt. From there, an author friend encouraged me to write more, and I expanded that 5k into over 15k and the first 5 chapters of what I called "my little story" because that was all it was for a long while.

Then, I learned about Camp in April, and on a whim, decided to do it. I wrote over 60k words across 3 different works. And still, it was just "my little story".

Today, that "little story" is just under 85k and would be done, except I took some advice and re-wrote my first 4 chapters (from the original prompt) to stretch it out a bit more and have better flow.

Since then, I wrote Book 2 (I didn't mention that little story became the first of a series, did I? Well, it did) in July Camp, writing just over 50k that time for the one WiP. It's now 61k and about 80% complete.

If you haven't guessed, for NaNoWriMo I'll be writing Book 3.

I am a Pantser. No plots or plans for me - neither of the first two were planned/plotted. I tried with Book 1 - at the suggestion of my author friend. I did a 35 word "road map". That was all I could manage, and some didn't get used while some got pushed to Book 2. Planning just isn't for me. So with Book 3 I know 2 things that will happen and that's it. I also don't write Linear, so I know what I'm writing first, when I get up Nov 1st. I don't even know where it will be in the book yet, we'll have to see. :)

I can't wait for NaNo, I've really been looking forward to it. For me, the ideas are still the hardest part of the process. I'm not not most writers out there I see that have a ton of ideas and can't nail one down. Ideas are few and far between for me, but once they come to me, the writing part is the easy part. I completed both Camps in under 20 days of writing (15 days for April, 17 days for July) so I'm not worried about the writing at all. Looking forward to it!!

How do you track your word count? I love PaceMaker. My daily goal will be 2,223 words, as I took every full day of FOOTBALL off (yes, I'm a woman and I love my football) because I know I won't write then, that includes a certain holiday that I DESPISE (don't get me started) but will take off because of Football!! I still love my Steelers, though it's been a rough rough year. Anyways - my tentative writing schedule - subject to many changes! :)



My series is Erotic Romance and features the following themes:

  • Older MCs (45, 44, 40)
  • Graphic Sex
  • Foul Language
  • Polyamory (ethical)
  • FF sex
  • MF sex
  • FMF sex
  • BDSM (SSC practiced)

The books also feature people who talk to each other (the horror - I know) and work out their problems, rather than running away, not talking and oh the angst, because they couldn't open their mouths. Yes, that's a pet peeve of mine, and I know it's in 99% of the books out there, but it is not and will never be in my books. My MCs are mature adults who work through their issues, not create more drama.

Book 1 will need new Beta Readers when it's finished (again), since the beginning changed. I'll want to make sure all the changes (for the new beginning) reflect through all the book. If you are interested in Beta Reading for me, click on my email above to message me. Disclaimer - the book is 1st person present. I know that will put some people off - so just putting it out there. I've heard nothing but good things about it, and it has a unique voice (if I do say so myself). So if you could look past that, I'd appreciate it!

Anyways, I've rambled enough (that's me). If you made it this far - thanks! I'll be updating my blog daily with my NaNo progress as the month goes on.

I'd love to hear from anyone else doing NaNoWriMo, now or if you have previously. Thank you for any interest you take in my accountability here.



No comments:

Post a Comment