Thursday, February 27, 2020

Countdown to publication: What did I do today?



Forgot to mention, if you haven't checked them out, I've had some others in my week of "Countdown to publication". Click to the right to check them out.

As I get closer to publishing, I'm all over the place in what I've been doing this week. Today, I edited chapters 10, 11 & 12, for wrong/missing words and fillers.

This takes time. What I do first is listen to the chapter in Scrivener, while I follow along word for word. This helps me catch missing words or improper words. The other day, on my own, I found an instance of "stairs" when I meant "stares", so I can't just listen, but listen and read, to make sure I catch everything. When something is repeated in the same paragraph, unless it's done on purpose, I highlight it to change it after the listen-through.

Once the listen-through is complete, I fix anything I highlighted. It used to be a lot of things, not it's just little spots - either something repetitive or something I want phrased different. Then, I run the chapter through the trial version of Pro Writing Aid. This points out all my fillers for me. Sure, I can search for them one by one, but I like how handy PWA does it. So I go through and take out as many fillers as I can. Big ones for me are - just, about, almost, would, all, anything... and some others. I also edit any other issues PWA points out, and then, once I'm satisfied, I move on to the the next chapter. I did this with three chapters today, so it took a while.

I also decided on another graphic for something for the book, so I spent time playing in Photoshop tinkering with that, and I like it. My book's definitely not like others, and I like that.

12 of 26 chapters edited again, so nearly half way. I look forward to when I can write without fillers, as I learn more and get better. I try not to be too hard on myself, I've only been writing a year. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment